[python-ldap] python-ldap 2.4.x packages in Linux distributions?

Thu Oct 13 15:43:19 CEST 2011

On Oct 11, 2011, at 12:48 PM, Christopher Dukes wrote:

> I'm going to be stuck with python-2.4.3 on my RHEL5 systems for the foreseeable future.  As long as the latest version of python-ldap that supports python-2.4.3 and openldap-2.4.23 is available for download, that's fine.

Same here, but since Red Hat provides a python-ldap package (2.2.0), I imagine that’s what most people on these systems will end up using. Same with RHEL6, which includes 2.3.10.

I guess I’m saying I wouldn’t worry *too* much about breaking things for RHEL users since

  1. They will always have access to a working version from RHN
  2. Policy might require them to stick with Red Hat provided/supported versions of things
  3. If we’re using RHEL, having the latest versions of things clearly isn’t a priority :)

> I'm stuck with python-2.6.2 and openldap-2.4.23 on AIX for the foreseeable future.

Aren’t you “stuck” with whatever you’re willing to build yourself? It’s not as though IBM provides useful packages or a way to install them. (I’m honestly asking. We recently acquired a bunch of AIX systems, so if there’s an easier way to install things and their dependencies, I’d like to know.)

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>