[python-ldap] python-ldap 2.4.x packages in Linux distributions?

Christopher Dukes chris.dukes.aix at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 21:03:36 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 09:43 -0400, Rob McBroom wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2011, at 12:48 PM, Christopher Dukes wrote:
>
> > I'm going to be stuck with python-2.4.3 on my RHEL5 systems for the foreseeable future.  As long as the latest version of python-ldap that supports python-2.4.3 and openldap-2.4.23 is available for download, that's fine.
>
> Same here, but since Red Hat provides a python-ldap package (2.2.0), I imagine that’s what most people on these systems will end up using. Same with RHEL6, which includes 2.3.10.

I end up using python-virtualenv quite a bit.  The last time I checked
python-ldap works quite nicely built in a virtualenv, and I readily use
that for anything other than python-ssl (refuses to install in the right
locations in the virtualenv) and PIL (Just too much pain to build).

> I guess I’m saying I wouldn’t worry *too* much about breaking things for RHEL users since
>
>   1. They will always have access to a working version from RHN
>   2. Policy might require them to stick with Red Hat provided/supported versions of things
>   3. If we’re using RHEL, having the latest versions of things clearly isn’t a priority :)

As I said, I use virtualenv, so within policy I can go newer.  The same
is the case for many people using buildout schemes for whole application
deployment.
My remark was more in reference to the sudden disappearance of older
versions of python-ldap from pypi.org shortly after python-ldap 2.4 was
released.
*IF* there are significant API changes, python-ldap-2.4.3 needs to
remain on pypi.

> > I'm stuck with python-2.6.2 and openldap-2.4.23 on AIX for the foreseeable future.
>
> Aren’t you “stuck” with whatever you’re willing to build yourself? It’s not as though IBM provides useful packages or a way to install them. (I’m honestly asking. We recently acquired a bunch of AIX systems, so if there’s an easier way to install things and their dependencies, I’d like to know.)

Let me introduce you to perzl.org.  Mike Perzl is very helpful in
keeping fairly up to date RPMs available for AIX.  It's enough that it's
not too painful having AIMP (AIX IHS Mysql PHP/Python) stacks for folks
expecting LAMP stacks.

My general policy is "If it isn't available as LPP, RPM, Install Shield
Multi Platform, or easy_install/pip, it won't be installed on AIX."  We
have a bus factor of 1 for porting fedora RPMs to AIX, a bus factor of 3
for abusing setuptools to create an RPM, and a bus factor of 5 or 6 for
installing from pre-packaged software.