[python-ldap] python-ldap for python3 (volunteering effort/code)

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Fri Jan 6 08:52:15 CET 2012

David N. Smith wrote:
> We are fairly heavy users of python-ldap and are working towards the
> move to python 3.  I've done some work on the code and am willing to
> contribute/maintain it.

During the last weeks I've read about Cython and how to write extension
modules with it. This was triggered by suggestions on this mailing list
during a discussion about supporting Python3 in December.

It looks very promising, also for speeding up schema parsing, but I have
to make up my mind which approach to take. Cython offers various ways to
do the same thing.

As said before: You can do some quick hacks to get the C wrapper module
working. This was already done by others (see mailing list archive). But
it's far more work to get all the features robustly implemented and have
a maintainable code base.

 > If someone could point me in the right
 > direction, I'm more than willing to contribute.

Certainly your help is welcome. But let us first discuss the proper
approach.

There are various things to address when rewriting this stuff:
1. Maintain API backwards compability?
2. Start a new module package ldap2 to avoid compability clash?
3. How to overcome deficiencies of the C API and current C wrapper module?