[python-ldap] syncrepl with refreshAndPersist not detecting deletes

Chris Mikkelson cmikk at qwest.net
Wed May 30 18:50:55 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:38:16AM +1200, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> With some help of the demo application, I now have a LDAP Syncrepl
> client largely working. It detects additions, modifications and
> deletions upon resuming perfectly, and additions and modifications
> when persisting without problems too.
>
> Unfortunately, it completely misses deletes when persisting. It does
> not even get a new cookie.
> Any ideas?
>
> I'll see if I can get any evidence of OpenLDAP sending messages but
> python-ldap filtering them out.

Yes, please do. The easiest way to do this is to connect with:

	ldapsearch ${auth_options} ${search_options} -E \!sync=rp

This should pause after printing the search results and
"SyncInfo Received". When you delete a DN which matches
the search, you should see something like:

  dn: ...
  control: 1.3.6.1.4.1.4203.1.9.1.2 false MEsKAQMEENvalhY+vhAxkhS55kGsVLgENHJpZD
   0wMDAsY3NuPTIwMTIwNTMwMTYxODU4LjM4NTU3NlojMDAwMDAwIzAwMCMwMDAwMDA=

Also, if possible, please upgrade OpenLDAP. They've fixed
a lot of syncprov bugs since 2.4.26. I just did a quick
and successful retest of this scenario with 2.4.31.

--
Chris Mikkelson  |  "For every complex problem, there is a solution
cmikk at qwest.net  |  that is simple, neat, and wrong."