[python-ldap] Installation instructions, python-ldap for HP-UX

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sun Feb 10 13:10:36 CET 2013

Bill Allen wrote:
> I found that I had ssl and sasl dependencies, so I have install OpenLDAP,
> openssl, and cyrus-sasl for HP-UX.

Disclaimer: I've never used Python on HP-UX myself.

Which toolchain are you using to build?

> I ran python setup.py build and python
> setup.py install with the follwing setup.cfg and the build and install
> completed successfully, but I do still have a problem as noted below.
>
> [_ldap]
> library_dirs = /usr/local/lib
> include_dirs = /usr/local/include

You should put there all needed library and include dirs.

Since you already successfully built python-ldap's _ldap.so 'include_dirs' is
probably complete.

> "/opt/iexpress/python/lib/python2.7/site-packages/python_ldap-2.4.10-py2.7-hp-ux-B.11.31-ia64.egg/ldap/__init__.py",
> line 22, in <module>
>     import _ldap
> ImportError: Failed to load
> /opt/iexpress/python/lib/python2.7/site-packages/python_ldap-2.4.10-py2.7-hp-ux-B.11.31-ia64.egg/_ldap.so

It seems to me that something's wrong with the runtime library path. Not sure
whether the linker you used on HP-UX sets it.

On Linux I'd try to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include at least the path
containing libldap_r and liblber but I'm not sure whether you can do that on
HP-UX. If that's successful I'd check whether the paths set by 'library_dirs'
are passed to the linker during the build.