[python-ldap] Python3 Status Question

Raphaël Barrois raphael.barrois at m4x.org
Tue May 27 23:35:37 CEST 2014

On Tue, 27 May 2014 12:26:58 -0400
David Stanek <dstanek at dstanek.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm in the process of getting the OpenStack Keystone project to work
> on Python 3. Part of this work is to get all of our dependencies to
> also work against Python 3. It looks like there have been several
> attempts for python-ldap, with the most promising being the one
> recently announced[1] on this list.
>
> This patchset is working so far, but I have quite a bit more testing
> to do including more changes to Keystone so that I can actually run
> full tests. What is the process for getting these patches accepted?
>
> Thanks!
>
> 1. https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ldap/2014q1/003348.html

Hi David,

If you've got additional changes to make to my Python3-compatible
version, feel free to push them on this mailing list or as issues on
the github repository at https://github.com/rbarrois/python-ldap.

Regarding the inclusion of Python3-related patches into python-ldap,
I'd love to get the opinion of Michael Ströder on that topic.

From my point of view, there are now three options:

- Improve and merge these changes into the main python-ldap tree
- Decide that switching to Python3 should be an occasion for
  significant API redesign, and release that version under a new name
- Refuse to support Python3 in python-ldap, in which case I'll work on
  distributing my fork under another name.

Michael, what's your opinion on this?

--
Raphaël