[python-ldap] Licensing

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Thu Jun 19 16:56:50 CEST 2014

Dear Michael,

Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com> writes:
> Radomir Dopieralski wrote:
>> (..)
>> Without a concrete text of the license for our lawyers to review we are
>> blocked from releasing our project to the public, as it is perceived as
>> threat to the company. Would it be possible to include a full text of the
>> license in the LICENSE file, or an unambiguous reference to a specific
>> license? That would help us a lot.
>
> Mentioning a Python style license was my fault for two reasons:
>
> 1. It is an obstacle to incorporate python-ldap into Python's standard lib.
>
> 2. It's not precise enough as you already said.
>
> Mainly the term "Python style" was used to express that you should be able to
> do whatever you're allowed to do with Python.
>
> The two authors (David and me) writing most of the code could agree on a quite
> liberal open source license.

Do you have a specific license in mind?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#Python

The current python license is non-copyleft and compatible with GPL.

> But since we did not insist on written statements
> to agree upon a license for the few contributions made by others we would have
> to ask all contributors. Most of them are not subscribed to the list anymore I
> guess.
>
> Frankly I'm not sure what to do to clarify this unfortunate situation.

I suggest and am willing to help:

- you (and David) as the main authors decide on a desired license

- we figure out the authors email address / other means of contacting
  them

- we contact the authors and ask for their permission to relicense

From the logs:

| author      | number of commits |      when |
|-------------+-------------------+-----------|
| aschauer    |                 3 |      2002 |
| deepak_giri |                 4 |      2005 |
| fog         |                 9 |      2000 |
| jajcus      |                18 |      2001 |
| jlt63       |                 1 |      2001 |
| kchuguev    |                 1 |      2001 |
| leonard     |               138 | 2000-2009 |
| stroeder    |              1251 |   ongoing |
| uid32935    |                 2 |      2001 |

Do you have names and email addresses of the authors?

kchuguev's I found while browsing the commit logs.

best regards
Florian

PS: I removed Radomir from the recipients as his email address is no
longer active.
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC