[python-ldap] ldap.OPT_DESC, async ops and paged search controls

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Jan 21 10:16:54 CET 2015

Mark R Bannister wrote:
> I've been using the new ldap.OPT_DESC feature introduced in python-ldap 2.4.17
> and have a question concerning the use of it with asynchronous search
> operations and paged search controls.

Never used that myself.

Why are you using paging? This only makes sense if you want to retrieve more
than 1000 entries from MS AD.

> Does this seem right to you and is there anyway to optimise this? All 80,000
> entries are taking about 15 seconds to read into Python using the python-ldap
> module compared with 5 seconds for native C.

For better comparison of the numbers could you please also test Python code
without using the ldap.OPT_DESC feature:

1. using LDAPObject.search_ext_s()

2. using ldap.resiter

3. 1. and 2. with and without paging

I'd also try to see what wakes up the select() by using wireshark.