[python-ldap] result_type of connection.result()

Dave Peticolas dave at krondo.com
Fri Feb 3 12:10:23 EST 2017

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 8:54 AM Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com> wrote:

> Dave Peticolas wrote:
> > Note the OpenLDAP docs for the underlying C function are a lot less
> specific about the
> > result type you can expect when all=1.
> >

> https://www.openldap.org/software/man.cgi?query=ldap_result&sektion=3&apropos=0&
> > manpath=OpenLDAP+2.4-Release
> >
> > Is it possible that the python-ldap docs are simply incorrect here?
>
> Yes, I'm inclined to simply hunk out this sentence for all=1 (IIRC not
> written by me).

I think that might be the right course. My C is pretty rusty, but looking
at the result.c code it looks like when all=1 the "result type" is the
result type of the first message in a linked list and the order of those
results is pretty sensitive to the order they are received in and the mix
of message IDs seen up till then.

https://github.com/openldap/openldap/blob/master/libraries/libldap/result.c