[python-ldap] python-ldap licensing ?

Raphaël Barrois raphael.barrois at m4x.org
Fri May 5 10:31:12 EDT 2017

On Fri, 5 May 2017 15:40:49 +0200
Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com> wrote:

> Ilya Etingof wrote:

> >> Unfortunately the term "Python-style license" introduced by myself is pretty blurry.
> >>
> >> But basically the intention is that you can freely use python-ldap just as Python
> >> itself.
> >
> > From my experience, boldly sticking to one of the standard FOSS licenses
> > tend to benefit software adoption. It might be even more applicable to
> > LDAP, as it's more of an enterprise application as opposed to end-user one.
>
> Basically broad adoption was my intention by saying "Python-style license". Again, I had
> to learn many years ago that this was a beginner's fault. Today I'd choose APL-2.0. But
> it's nearly impossible to fix that retroactively. That's also one reason why I always
> recommended a new clean-room implementation for Python 3.
>
> Anyway: Feel free to simply use it. David (original author of C wrapper part) and me will
> never stand in anyone's way using python-ldap.
>
> Ciao, Michael.

There has already been a couple of threads on this topic ;)

If I remember correctly, the conclusion was that the only obstacle to changing the license would be to collect the
opinion of every past contributor: their contributions were made within a "redistribution under a python-style license"
context; if the license were to be changed to, say, APL-2.0, it looked like their agreement could be required before
changing that?

--
Raphaël