[python-ldap] ANN: python-ldap 2.5.2

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Nov 20 14:52:10 EST 2017

On 11/20/2017 02:23 PM, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Hmm. The main obstacle for back-porting pyldap is that I'd like to keep
> python-ldap binary-only and still let the calling app do the Unicode
> decode/encode stuff if needed. It seems you're endorsing the opposite way.

Why? What is your rationale for that?

It seems entirely appropriate and user friendly for the binding to
perform the UTF-8 encode/decode.

Asking users to understand *and* never forget to apply all
endcode/decode operations when handling LDAP data is large opportunity
for errors as has been shown to be prevalent in the existing binding
usage. Plus, doing the endcode/decode in the binding is super easy. So
why not if it's easy and has been shown to greatly eliminate errors?

--
John