[python-ldap] Future of python-ldap.org - get involved now!

Petr Viktorin pviktori at redhat.com
Tue Nov 21 08:10:19 EST 2017

On 11/21/2017 12:48 PM, Michael Ströder wrote:
> HI!
>
> I feel that I'm probably not the right one to work on module ldap
> anymore. So I'd like to step back as a maintainer of python-ldap.org.

Hello,
Thank you for maintaining python-ldap all this time! I'm sorry to see
this e-mail, and hope we can find ways to collaborate in the future.
I'll assume the decision is a well thought-out one, not just an
immediate result of the current discussions; I'll write the rest with
that in mind.

> There are some work items to be done in the *very near* future:
>
> 1. Find a new VCS home (CVS write access at SF is closed 2017-11-30)
>
> 2. Take over hosting of domain python-ldap.org (current registration
> ends within few weeks)
>
> 3. Take over mailing list moderation
>
> Furthermore:
>
> 4. Get administrative access to PyPI
>
> Interested maintainers should contact me off-list so I can provide them
> with information especially needed to take over items 2., 3. and 4.
> I will help as much as I can to make the transition to be finished soon
> and without interruption.

I can take over, with some caveats:

- I'm an expert on Python, not LDAP: I could do general maintenance but
not much new development.
- I was paid to help projects transition to Python 3; any further
involvement would be from my (limited) free time.
- You and I have different opinions on how to port python-ldap to Python
3 (see discussion in the other thread); specifically, I think changes
from the pyldap fork should be merged into python-ldap (ideally after
re-review, if people are available).

I can offer to:

1. Move to Git, hosted on Pagure (open-source, but not well known), with
a mirror on GitHub (proprietary, but familiar to too many people and
offers easy ways to run tests).
2. Host python-ldap.org as a static website on GitHub pages (as that's
least work for me); put documentation on Read the Docs.
3. Take over mailing list moderation.
4. Merge Python3 changes from the pyldap project, and release on PyPI.
- handle subsequent contributions (patches/pull requests) and releases,
if other people do reviews.
- Look for other interested maintainers.

Let me know if it's enough.

--
Petr Viktorin