[Python-legal-sig] PyPI terms (moved here from the catalog-sig)

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 15:18:11 CET 2013

On Friday, March 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> [...]
> > any third-party code or content (third party content) placed on
> > the web site and has no obligation of any kind with respect to
> > such third party content. Any third party content provided in
> > connection with this web site is provided on a non-confidential
> > basis.
>

> This part is obviously necessary and makes it clear that the PSF
> is not claiming ownership (we'd be foolish to take ownership
> without review, anyway).
>
> > The PSF is free to use or disseminate such content on an
> > unrestricted basis for any purpose, and third party content
> > providers grant the PSF and all other users of the web site an
> > irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive license to
> > reproduce, distribute, transmit, display, perform, and publish
> > such content, including in digital form.
>

> This part would be mostly fine as well, except for an important
> detail:
>
> "...the PSF and all other users of the web site..."
>
> The small addition "and all other users of the web site" implies
> a license agreement between the content providers and all other
> users of the web site.
>
> I'm sure that most package authors wouldn't have a problem
> with granting the PSF the above license rights, but do have
> a problem with extending those same rights irrevocably to
> all users of the web site.
>
> By agreeing to the above term, the authors are giving up
> control of the distribution of their distribution files
> completely.
>
> Note that the above does not include a use license and it
> just refers to the distribution files, not their content,
> so that does not override the terms of the licenses which
> control the distribution file contents - this appears to be
> a misunderstanding that has sometimes cropped up on
> the catalog-sig.
>
> Now, I can see where the terms originated. They were added
> when I requested the addition of the export rule clauses
> further below in 2011.
>
> At the time, there was a big discussion about a PyPI mirror
> framework and the above terms make it easily possible for any
> user of the website to set up such a mirror, so I guess
> that motivated the addition of "all other users of the web site".
>
> However, the number of public PyPI mirrors is small and may
> get even smaller once we have a CDN setup to feed distribution
> files directly to all users of our website, so its easy
> to narrow down those "other users of the web site" that
> would actually need such distribution rights.
>
> I'd suggest to do what many other hosting sites do: make the
> terms only apply to the provided service and only include
> those parts which are absolutely necessary to be able to
> provide the service:
>
> * restrict the redistribution rights to just the PSF and
> allow the PSF to sublicense these rights to public PyPI mirror
> providers (which also gives the PSF more control over who

Ubuntu does this with the PPA agreement - the only way they allow UGC uploads - Notice however they restrict what licenses users can use:

https://help.launchpad.net/PPATermsofUse

See also:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring

Also:

http://help.rubygems.org/discussions/problems/411-rubygemsorg-toseula
https://raw.github.com/isaacs/npm/master/LICENSE
https://code.google.com/projecthosting/terms.html
https://help.github.com/articles/github-terms-of-service

Specifically on the last one:

"We claim no intellectual property rights over the material you provide to the Service. Your profile and materials uploaded remain yours. However, by setting your pages to be viewed publicly, you agree to allow others to view your Content. By setting your repositories to be viewed publicly, you agree to allow others to view and fork your repositories."

In short: making it available means people can take it