[Python-legal-sig] Include BSD code into Python?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 10:15:46 CEST 2013

Hi,

I would like to reuse code from the libcfu project in Python:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libcfu/

Here is the license:
---
   Creation date: 2005-06-24 21:22:40
   Authors: Don
   Change log:

   Copyright (c) 2005 Don Owens
   All rights reserved.

   This code is released under the BSD license:

   modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
   are met:

     * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
       notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

     * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
       copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
       disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
       with the distribution.

     * Neither the name of the author nor the names of its
       contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
       from this software without specific prior written permission.

   THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
   "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
   LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS
   FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
   COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
   INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
   (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
   SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
   HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
   STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
   ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED
   OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
---

Can you confirm me that this BSD 3-clauses license is compatible with
the Python license?

I'm using libcfu hash table in my new tracemalloc module (PEP 454):
http://hg.python.org/features/tracemalloc/file/ac693c811b1d/Modules/_tracemalloc.c#l1

I heavily modified the code of the hash table, but I would like to
keep the original author and the copyright notice.

I contacted the author (Don Owens aka regexguy):

me>> I would like to know if the BSD 3-clause license if
me>> compatible with
me>> the Python license

don> I believe so.  It basically allows you to use the code any way you want,
don> as long as you include the copyright notice and attribution in the code.

Victor