HTML "sanitizer" in Python

William Park parkw at better.net
Wed Apr 28 15:20:42 EDT 1999

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 12:49:55PM -0400, Scott Stirling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Python.  I have an idea of a work-related project I want
> to do, and I was hoping some folks on this list might be able to
> help me realize it.  I have Mark Lutz' _Programming Python_ book,
> and that has been a helpful orientation.  I like his basic packer
> and unpacker scripts, but what I want to do is something in between
> that basic program and its later, more complex manifestations.
>
> I am on a Y2K project with 14 manufacturing plants, each of which
> has an inventory of  plant process components that need to be tested
> and/or replaced.  I want to put each plant's current inventory on
> the corporate intranet on a weekly or biweekly basis.  All the plant
> data is in an Access database.  We are querying the data we need and
> importing into 14 MS Excel 97 spreadsheets.  Then we are saving the
> Excel sheets as HTML.  The HTML files bloat out with a near 100%
> increase in file size over the original Excel files.  This is
> because the HTML converter in Excel adds all kinds of unnecessary
> HTML code, such as <FONT FACE="Times New Roman"> for every single
> cell in the table.  Many of these tables have over 1000 cells, and
> this code, along with its accompanying closing FONT tag, add up
> quick.  The other main, unnecessary code is the ALIGN="left"
> attribute in <TD> tags (the default alignment _is_ left).  The
> unnecessary tags are consistent and easy to identify, and a routine
> sh!
> ould be writable that will automate the removal of them.
>
> I created a Macro in Visual SlickEdit that automatically opens all
> these HTML files, finds and deletes all the tags that can be
> deleted, saves the changes and closes them.  I originally wanted to
> do this in Python, and I would still like to know how, but time
> constraints prevented it at the time.  Now I want to work on how to
> create a Python program that will do this.  Can anyone help?  Has
> anyone written anything like this in Python already that they can
> point me too?  I would really appreciate it.
>
> Again, the main flow of the program is:
>
> >> Open 14 HTML files, all in the same folder and all with the .html
> >> extension.  Find certain character strings and delete them from
> >> the files.  In one case (the <TD> tags) it is easier to find the
> >> whole tag with attributes and then _replace_ the original tag
> >> with a plain <TD>.  Save the files.  Close the files.  Exit the
> >> program.

Hi Scott,

I shall assume that a <TD ...> tag occurs in one line.  Try 'sed',
    for i in *.html
    do sed -e 's/<TD ALIGN="left">/<TD>/g" $i > /tmp/$i && mv /tmp/$i $i
    done
or, in Python,
    for s in open('...', 'r').readlines():
	s = string.replace('<TD ALIGN="left">', '<TD>', s)
	print string.strip(s)

If <TD ...> tag spans over more than one line, then read the file in
whole, like
    for s in open('...', 'r').read():

If the tag is not consistent, then you may have to use regular
expression with 're' module.

Hopes this helps.
William

> More advanced options would be the ability for the user to set
> parameters for the program upon running it, to keep from hard-coding
> the find and replace parms.

To use command line parameters, like
    $ cleantd 'ALIGN="left"'
change to
	s = string.replace('<TD %s>' % sys.argv[1], '<TD>', s)