Bug with makesetup on FreeBSD

Andrew Csillag andrew at starmedia.net
Fri Apr 16 14:35:55 EDT 1999

Randall Hopper wrote:

> Andrew Csillag:
>  |makesetup in Python 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 bombs on lines in the Setup file
>  |that use backslash continuation to break a module spec across lines on
>  |FreeBSD.
>
> BTW FWIW, I just built 1.5.2 last night on 3.0-RELEASE using the 1.5.2c1
> port.  Worked fine.  But it may not invoke makesetup under the hood.
>
> Randall
It does invoke makesetup (that's how the Makefile in Modules gets
written).  I'm also running FreeBSD 2.2.8, so it may be a bug in /bin/sh
that has been subsequently fixed...  The quick test is to try this on
your 3.0 machine

$ read line
some text here\

On my 2.2.8 machine after I hit return after the \, I get a command line
prompt, not a "blank prompt" that would mean that the read wasn't done.

In either case, I was able to get the thing built without the patch, I
just had to type make -e SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash, but that sucks.

Drew Csillag
--
"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley:
- Jeremy S. Anderson