threading/events questions

Chris... sca at isogmbh.de
Tue Apr 27 08:05:51 EDT 1999

Hello...

  After experimenting with the modules thread and threading I have
some open questions.  I've written the famous ping-pong program
from Threading import *
from time import sleep

Quit = Event()

def f(t, msg):
    print msg
    Quit.wait(t)
    if Quit.isSet():
        return
    f(t, msg)

def run():
    t1 = Thread(target=f, args=(10, 'ping'))
    t2 = Thread(target=f, args=(5, '\tpong'))
    t1.start()
    t2.start()
    sleep(60)
    Quit.set()
With that program, the threads are running for 60 seconds.  But, how
can I stop one thread and not both?  I don't want to write an
additional function doing exactly the same except dealing with a
different Event.

  My second problem is sending an event with a message.
ChangeOutput = Event()
and send the event ChangeOutput('something different than ping-pong')
to one thread.  After receiving this message, the thread should change
the recursive call to f(t, 'something different, than ping-pong').

  How can I wait for events (more than one)?  In the code above, I am
just waiting for one event with a proper timeout.  How can I react on
the additional event ChangeOutput?

  Thanks a lot in advance!

bye
  Chris...