HELP! NumPy (Graphics) and Linux

kelvin_chu at my-dejanews.com kelvin_chu at my-dejanews.com
Sun Apr 25 15:19:47 EDT 1999

Hi all;

I've had great success with EZplot and now want to move my code to Linux-
based platforms in my lab.  I am having significant difficulties building
the Graphics portion of NumPy.

0.  I am running RedHat linux 5.2
1.  I have installed Yorick in the cannonical place.
2.  Instead of libX11.a, I have a shared-object library, locatedin
    /usr/X11R6/lib

When I do the build (python makethis.py), I receive the following error:

gcc -fpic  -I/usr/local/lib/yorick/1.4/h -g -O2
-I/usr/local/include/python1.5 -I/usr/local/include/python1.5
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c ./Gist/Src/gistCmodule.c
./Gist/Src/gistCmodule.c:75: arrayobject.h: No such file or directory
./Gist/Src/gistCmodule.c:88: warning: `PyFPE_END_PROTECT' redefined
/usr/local/include/python1.5/pyfpe.h:169: warning: this is the location of
the previous definition
make: *** [gistCmodule.o] Error 1

I suspect that I am going to run into multiple problems.  There is a cryptic
statement in the README that indicates that I should do import_arrays() before
doing the build...where do I implement this?  How much of this problem is
related to the shared object X libs?

Thanks, I appreciate any light you can shed on this matter!

Cheers,

Kelvin