OpenSSL/X.509

Mordy Ovits movits at lockstar.com
Fri Apr 9 13:43:50 EDT 1999

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Mordy Ovits wrote:

> > [SNIP]
> >
> > >   MAL> Note that I have a project running with the intention to wrap
> > >   MAL> OpenSSL in an OO manner called mxCrypto (see the link below).
> > >
> > > Looking forward to seeing it.  When do you think you might have an
> > > alpha release ready?
> > >
> > > Jeremy
> >
>>I have a fairly complete SWIGing of OpenSSL/SSleay working.  I made it on
>>company time, so I have to get company permission to release it.  If there is
>>real interest, I'll push for us to release it.  It does all the X.509 stuff, is
> > very OO, and builds on win32 and unices.
> > Interested?
>
> Sure, but if your company is US based, then chances are high
> you won't be able to share the code outside the US... that's
> why I started mxCrypto, BTW.\

That's debatable.  The SWIG bindings contain no crypto code in their own right.
It is merely glue to crypto code.  I wouldn't be able to release statically
prebuilt libraries, but why would I want to anyway?  Our lawyers keep waffling
on this, which is why I haven't released it already.  I'm really pleased with
it, and would love give something back to the Python community.  <SIGH>  How
long before we Americans are reduced to doing Crypto with a deck of cards?  (See
Bruce Schneier's Solitaire).

Mordy
--
o Mordy Ovits