simple indexed file module?

aaron_watters at my-dejanews.com aaron_watters at my-dejanews.com
Tue Apr 13 09:15:16 EDT 1999

In article <joe-120419991008353558 at chinacat.salk.edu>,
  Joe Strout <joe at strout.net> wrote:
> For a CGI script I'm working on, I need to keep a couple of indexed
> files.  These will contain variable-length data (descriptions), which
> may be changed fairly frequently.  So I imagine that in addition to the
> data file, there will be an index file that keeps track of the position
> and length of each record.  New or expanded records will be stuffed in
> wherever there is free space, or at the end if no sufficient free chunk
> is available.

If the data is small I'd say use an in memory approach with
load and store using marshal.  If the data is large enough that
the time to load/unmarshal/marshal/store becomes an issue (probably
on the order of megs, I think) then use some sort of dbm implementation.
bplustree.py will work, but it doesn't do the kind of garbage
management you ask for (you'd have to do that periodically offline).
I haven't tested it on a mac, but it should require few if any
changes.

http://starship.skyport.net/crew/aaron_watters/bplustree/

also have a look at

http://www.chordate.com/gadfly.html

  -- Aaron Watters

===
You can express emotion in many ways
and with varying degrees of loudness.
   -- from my recently purchased French vocab tape.