Crappy Software was Re: [OffTopic: Netscape] Re: How should Python be evangelized?

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Tue Apr 6 00:40:22 EDT 1999

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999 12:15:17 -0700, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
>>Er, that'd be the same Netscape that has such broken CSS that it is
>>absolutely unuseable?

>While I understand that Netscape's CSS implementation is not the best, I
>have to take an opposing view as to it not being usable.  Netscape's CSS is
>more than adequate for the vast majority of the web sites out there.  They
>provide my web sites with a good, professional appearance under both
>Netscape and MSIE.

I understand what you mean -- we have to design for what's out there, not
what we wish was out there.  Nevertheless, Netscape is so broken that it
will *crash* on certain CSS inputs.  Not render them wrong, crash.  Thud.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

>>Myself, I prefer Opera; at least it meets standards.  MSIE runs a close
>>second these days.  Netscape is horrendously buggy.

>And Mozilla will decimate MSIE.  The trick, of course, is them actually
>releasing it as a finished product.  :-)

I have EVERY hope that this will happen.  (Please please please...)

And it'll be using Python, too.  (Right?)

>However, when I actually see Opera for Linux, I'll be sure to give it a
>shot.  I've used Opera for Windows, and was only mildly impressed.  It was a
>blazingly fast web browser, but it didn't have the feature set that MSIE had
>at the time.  A lot has changed since then, I know -- which is why I'm
>willing to give it another shot.

The one reason I like Opera (I'm not using it now because I'm a cheapskate):
it fully and nearly correctly supports the keyboard.  Oh, it's CSS is better
than anything else, but like you said I don't code for the best, I code for
_everything_.

>(I'll be REALLY happy when they port Opera to AmigaOS 5.)

Hmm, would that be because of Opera or because of AmigaOS 5?  (The current
version is OS 4.)

Are there many Amiga Python users out there?

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley
"But you shall not escape my iambics."