WARNING: AIX and dynamic loading.

Paul Duffin pduffin at mailserver.hursley.ibm.com
Wed Apr 28 06:07:21 EDT 1999

Jakob Schiotz wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I would like to warn developers using AIX against this trap waiting
> for us to fall into.  (I am cross-posting this to the SWIG mailing list
> although it is not strictly a SWIG problems, as SWIG users will be
> doing just the kind of stuff that gets you into trouble).
>
> SCENARIO:
> You are developing a dynamically loaded C module for Python (or
> possibly for other languages).  You place the module in a directory on
> the PYTHONPATH.  That directory is NFS mounted.  Or you are loading
> the module directly from the directory where you compiled it, and that
> directory is NFS mounted.
>
> SYMPTOMS:
> You are improving the code, but it does not seem to have any effect at
> all.  Eventually you realise that Python is loading the buggy version
> of your module that you tried out this morning, although _all_ copies
> on disk are the new improved version you just wrote !
>
> PROBLEM:
> If you copy the module to the PYTHONPATH directory using cp, the old
> file gets overwritten, but keeps the same inode number.  Apparently,
> the AIX dynamical loader is caching the module somewhere, and does not
> discover that the file has been modified. (If the directory is not NFS
> mounted cp will fail with an error message saying that you cannot
> overwrite a running program - although the program has stopped.)
>
> It is _possible_ that this only occurs if the module you wrote causes
> python to dump core.  It certainly makes it frustrating to fix the
> bug as you continue to get the version that dumps core loaded into
> python, even after you fixed the bug.

I found this problem when developing extensions for Tcl, my solution
was to run slibclean (as root) which removes all unused modules from the
system.

> SOLUTION:
> You makefile should remove the old module (the .so file) before copying the
> new version into the installation directory.  Then the file gets a new
> inode number and the loader discovers that it has been changed.  If
> you ever load the module directly from the development directory you
> should also remove the .so file before compiling/linking, as you will
> otherwise get hit by the same bug.

That is very useful, as I had a solution I did not bother to find out
what was happening.

> I just wanted to warn you all about this bug in AIX.  I wasted too much time
> on this last Friday :-(

AIX should definitely look at the modification date as well as the
inode.

--
Paul Duffin
DT/6000 Development	Email: pduffin at hursley.ibm.com
IBM UK Laboratories Ltd., Hursley Park nr. Winchester
Internal: 7-246880	International: +44 1962-816880