New python user seeks comments

David Steuber trashcan at david-steuber.com
Thu Apr 22 21:41:52 EDT 1999

Martijn Faassen <faassen at pop.vet.uu.nl> writes:

-> Chad McDaniel wrote:
->
-> ['in' is a reserved word so can't be used as a variable name]
->
-> > It seems that Python could have mentioned that to the user.
->
-> True, though it does say this:
->
->   File "<stdin>", line 2
->     in = open("test.txt", "r")
->      ^
-> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
->
-> Could be better, but easily could've been far worse..

This is what threw me.  I got the syntax error.  I had no clue what
was wrong with the syntax though.  I have gotten so used to using in
for the input file and out for the output file in other languages.

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

If you wish to reply by mail, _please_ replace 'trashcan' with 'david'
in the e-mail address.  The trashcan account really is a trashcan.

.. The Anarchists' [national] anthem is an international anthem that
consists of 365 raspberries blown in very quick succession to the tune
of "Camptown Races".  Nobody has to stand up for it, nobody has to
listen to it, and, even better, nobody has to play it.
		-- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"