Emacs' python-mode buggy?

Ken Manheimer klm at digicool.com
Thu Apr 29 00:42:17 EDT 1999

Markus Stenberg wrote:

> At least by my experiences the Emacs mode (at least, two versions I tried,
> 3.75 and whatever came with Python 1.5.2) seems to have tons of bugs; to be
> more precise, it seems to think a lot more of my code than should be is
> string (and therefore is green and indentation doesn't work).
>
> Funny thing is, it's colored properly when I load file but when I start
> editing some files' some parts, they turn green (comment-ish) and
> indentation starts to suck.
>
> Indentation being fairly neccessary feature for Python coding, is there
> some option I am missing or am I fucked? (read: forced to use vim or
> something)

I can't speak to the intimacy issue, but the python-mode syntax recognition
may be due to having a leading '(' open paren in the first column in one of
your docstrings.  If so, emacs' syntax confusion (not to be mistaken for
poor gender identification) can be remedied by escaping the leading open
paren with a '\' backslash, like so:

\(this is what to do with parens in docstrings.)

If it is the problem, well, it's emacs' problem, not pymode.  If it's not,
well, do track it down.

Oh, does that bug constitute the "tons" you mention, or were there others?
I never was good at estimating the weight of bugs - all that chiton, you
know.

Ken Manheimer
klm at digicool.com