Python Chip

Cameron Laird claird at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Tue Apr 6 09:27:32 EDT 1999

In article <000501be7da7$450ddf20$879e2299 at tim>,
Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:
>[Martijn Faassen]
>> This isn't official, but have you all heard about the Python chip?
>> ... [recklessly premature disclosure deleted] ...
>
>[Chad Netzer]
>> April fools, right?
>
>[Martin]
>> No, no, this is as serious as a ten ton weight! Just ask Tim about the
>> stress tests if you still don't believe it. :)
>>
>> Is-it-april-already-ly yours,
>
>As Martijn reported, the stress tests are going *amazingly* well, modulo a
>subtle space/tab screwup in the hardware.  I've completed VLSINANNY.py,
>which will verify future hardware conformance to generally accepted
>international leading whitespace principles, but the Russian part of the
>team is refusing to cooperate in protest of Kosovo (although if you ask me,
>they're just pissed at the Swedes for sneaking herring into the borscht ...
>again).
			.
			.
			.
The metajoke is that, as I've learned from the
comp.arch crowd, it's all turtles anyway.  That
is, *no* chips actually run the instruction sets
they present to their consumers; they all emulate,
even, or perhaps especially, including Intel's
latest mass-market offerings.  Maybe we're just a
tweaked microcode store away from the Python chip
now, but it doesn't matter.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird at NeoSoft.com      +1 281 996 8546 FAX