#!/usr/bin/env python -u

Martin Preishuber Martin.Preishuber at stuco.uni-klu.ac.at
Sun Apr 18 06:04:24 EDT 1999

Bill Janssen wrote:

> Martin,

Hi,

> I'm not a big fan of the /usr/bin/env approach for Python scripts,
> because at PARC many people run without having Python on their paths.
> Many, many packages at PARC, including Python and ILU, are installed in
> their own directory tree under either /project (/project/ILU/) or
> /import (/import/python-1.5/).  People enable or disable various
> packages depending on what they're up to.
>
> So I tend to depend on GNU configure when I'm installing a script.  I
> actually look for Python in the user's environment, then use sed to
> hard-code that path into the scripts before installing them.  Can this
> be done with RPM?

Actually I do use autoconf ... but when building a RPM file, you use
rpm -ba <specfile> ... then it creates RPMS and SRPMS by doing the
usualy configure;make;make install (when specified) ... on my own
machine every occurence of python is been replaced by
/usr/local/bin/python
and the RPM is built with that path ... and therefor the final
RPM requires /usr/local/bin/python ... and that's what I want to
avoid, so I thought about the /usr/bin/env solution ...

Martin

--
Martin Preishuber - Student, ECLiPt Core Member, SysAdmin
http://eclipt.uni-klu.ac.at,
mailto:Martin.Preishuber at stuco.uni-klu.ac.at

Badges?  We don't need no stinking badges.