Windows install has problems. Guido asked that I use this newsgroup to discus further

Mauro Cicognini mcicogni at siosistemi.it
Thu Apr 22 19:17:36 EDT 1999

Barry Scott wrote:

> >I wish I could.  The installer is very stupid.  Windows sucks :-(
>
>     Is the WISE installer unable to deal with Win 9X vs. NT and handle
>     registry queries and updates? I'm sure that I can do this with
>     InstallShield (a poorly designed, annoying, but functional installer).

WISE sure can. We use it every other day and it really works a lot better than
InstallShield.

>     As for the tcl80.dll problems. Either assume that tcl80.dll is in the
>     standard (english) installation place
>     %systemdrive%\program files\tcl\bin\tcl80.dll.

Mmm, since I'm not an English-language OS user, I'd rather see that as
%programfolder%\tcl\bin\tcl80.dll (I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure there
is a way to refer in a language-independent way to the folder that the US
version calls "Program Files" since we use it in our installations.

>     OR release note that users must add the Tcl bin dir to there PATH.

Might as well (and make them aware that they need it some way or another).

>     As the python lib does not have a module to access the registry it makes
>     getting the info from the registry hard.
>
>     Maybe 1.6 needs a windows registry module to solve this and
>     other problems.

?
We use Mark Hammond's extensions and have no problem at all in fetching things
from the registry. Might just ask him and fold in the registry-access stuff.

>             BArry

Mauro