Errors

Charles G Waldman cgw at fnal.gov
Thu Apr 29 18:14:08 EDT 1999

smoothasice at geocities.com writes:

 > for word in All_Words:
 > 	z = 0
 > 	while z < len(word):
 > 		if z == 0:
 > 			tally = tally + alpha.index(word[z])
 > 		else:
 > 			tally = tally + (alpha.index(word[z]) * 26)
 >
 > It gives me this: NameError: tally
 > and I don't know why......

Try putting "tally = 0" somewhere.  You get a NameError because when
you execute the line
	tally = tally + alpha.index(word[z])

for the first time, Python evaluates the right-hand side of the
assignment, and since "tally" has never been assigned to before, it
has no value - it's an undefined name - hence the NameError.

Once you fix this I think you will discover another problem - you need
to increment "z" or else the "while z" loop never terminates.