Python too slow for real world

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Sun Apr 25 18:36:05 EDT 1999

On 25 Apr 1999, Magnus L. Hetland wrote:

> > Um, why?  I don't see any need at all for them to move from
> > module-status to core-language-status.
> [...]
> >
> > In all seriousness, what reason do you have for making that
> > suggestion?  I am willing to believe that there might be a good reason
> > to do so, but it certainly isn't immediately obvious.
>
> Now, that's really simple -- because re.py is slow. I thought maybe
> some of the slowness might be improved by a c-implementation, that's
> all. Not too important to me...

Um....two wrong assumptions here:
1. C implementation is /not/ the same as core status: C extension modules
are numerous and wonderful, for example...
2. re.py is a (very thin) wrapper around pcre, a C extension module for
Perl Compatible Regular Expressions.

Which just goes to say that while pcre can certainly be optimized, it
can't be done by simply rewriting it in C.
<0.5 wink>

but-we-can-always-call-Perl-on-the-fly-to-evaluate-regular-expression-ly
y'rs,
Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka at geocities.com>.
QOTD: What fun to me! I'm not signing permanent.