FP exception, core dump in Python 1.5.2 (Tim's doing <grin>)

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Fri Apr 30 02:24:01 EDT 1999

[Fernando Pereira]
> Unfortunately, the Alpha implementation of IEEE FP does not handle
> overflow gracefully. With the default C compilation flags, the code
> generated cannot recover from an overflow to stuff an Inf in the
> result, so the only thing the OS can do is to kill the process.
> Alternatively, with appropriate flags (can't remember them from the top
> of my head, had to deal with this 6 months ago), the C compiler adds
> machine instructions to allow recovery from FP exceptions, including
> storing Inf as a result of overflow.

Mark (Favas) got around this by recompiling with -ieee.  However, the Python
code I posted still didn't work for him.  Code that does is attached, and
those with a passion for fp esoterica will be rolling on the floors with
childlike glee, delighting in the extreme convolutions this required <wink>.

> Unfortunately, FP performance in this mode is not nearly as good. None
> of the other machines I use (SGI, Sun, Intel, Mac) have this problem.

The Alpha is a silly chip <0.9 wink>.  Denorms are a pain in the butt when
designing fast FP HW, but overflowing to an infinity is trivial (consider
that it's already got the logic to detect the overflow and signal an
exception as a result -- all they need to do instead is pass on a fixed,
simple bit pattern as the result).

> On the other hand, none of them comes close to an Alpha in FP
> performance (with the dafault `fast' compilation setting). Tradeoffs...

Luckily, Python's FP performance is poor on every platform <wink>.

the-alpha-is-a-cray-cpu-that-somehow-forgot-the-vectors-ly y'rs  - tim

"""Module ieee:  exports a few useful IEEE-754 constants and functions.

PINF    positive infinity
MINF    minus infinity
NAN     a generic quiet NaN
PZERO   positive zero
MZERO   minus zero

isnan(x)
    Return true iff x is a NaN.
"""

def _make_inf():
    x = 2.0
    x2 = x * x
    i = 0
    while i < 100 and x != x2:
        x = x2
        x2 = x * x
        i = i + 1
    if x != x2:
        raise ValueError("This machine's floats go on forever!")
    return x

# NaN-testing.
#
# The usual method (x != x) doesn't work.
# Python forces all comparisons thru a 3-outcome cmp protocol; unordered
# isn't a possible outcome.  The float cmp outcome is essentially defined
# by this C expression (combining some cross-module implementation
# details, and where px and py are pointers to C double):
#   px == py ? 0 : *px < *py ? -1 : *px > *py ? 1 : 0
# Comparing x to itself thus always yields 0 by the first clause, and so
# x != x is never true.
# If px and py point to distinct NaN objects, a strange thing happens:
# 1. On scrupulous 754 implementations, *px < *py returns false, and so
#    does *px > *py.  Python therefore returns 0, i.e. "equal"!
# 2. On Pentium HW, an unordered outcome sets an otherwise-impossible
#    combination of condition codes, including both the "less than" and
#    "equal to" flags.  Microsoft C generates naive code that accepts
#    the "less than" flag at face value, and so the *px < *py clause
#    returns true, and Python returns -1, i.e. "not equal".
# So with a proper C 754 implementation Python returns the wrong result,
# and under MS's improper 754 implementation Python yields the right
# result -- both by accident.  It's unclear who should be shot <wink>.
#
# Anyway, the point of all that was to convince you it's tricky getting
# the right answer in a portable way!

def isnan(x):
    """x -> true iff x is a NaN."""
    # multiply by 1.0 to create a distinct object (x < x *always*
    # false in Python, due to object identity forcing equality)
    if x * 1.0 < x:
        # it's a NaN and this is MS C on a Pentium
        return 1
    # Else it's non-NaN, or NaN on a non-MS+Pentium combo.
    # If it's non-NaN, then x == 1.0 and x == 2.0 can't both be true,
    # so we return false.  If it is NaN, then assuming a good 754 C
    # implementation Python maps both unordered outcomes to true.
    return 1.0 == x == 2.0

PINF = _make_inf()
MINF = -PINF

NAN = PINF - PINF
if not isnan(NAN):
    raise ValueError("This machine doesn't have NaNs, "
                     "'overflows' to a finite number, "
                     "suffers a novel way of implementing C comparisons, "
                     "or is 754-conformant but is using "
                     "a goofy rounding mode.")
PZERO = 0.0
MZERO = -PZERO