Secure Python for embedding

Michael P. Reilly arcege at shore.net
Mon Apr 5 17:59:39 EDT 1999

Per Knudsgaard <perk at int.tele.dk> wrote:
:    Hi all,

:    I have a situation where I would like to add a scripting language to the
: client of a client-server application.  The server will, as part of the
: communication between client and server, provide the client with scripts to
: run.  I would like it to be secure so I do not end in a situation where I
: expose the client machine to virae, Trojan horses or similar nasty things.
: In other words, I would like the scripts to be run in their own little
: "sandbox" environment.  I have the embedding almost down, but what I have is
: a fully functional language within the client.  Is there any way, without
: modifying the core Python code, that I can implement a secure scripting
: language using Python?

You will probably want to look at the rexec standard module.  Reading the
code can help you a lot.

  -Arcege