Designing Large Systems with Python

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Tue Apr 27 10:31:19 EDT 1999

David Steuber wrote:

> Over my programming life, I have used a 'cowboy' programming style.
> Once I have a general idea for a solution to a problem, I start
> coding, using the text editor as sort of an etch-o-scetch.  This works
> fine for programs under about 10klocs (thousand lines of code), but it
> is rather fragile and doesn't hold up to larger programs or the
> requested additions of un-anticipated features.
>
> I've noticed the acedemic and industry attempts to solve the problem.
> OOA/OOD, UML, design patterns, et al are all proposed solutions.
>
> What I am wondering about is the suitability of Python for specifying,
> a large system and building a prototype.  I have gotten myself rather
> entrenched in the cowboy style and I would love it if Python supported
> that for larger systems.

Not sure what your "cowboy" style looks like, but Python is just
great for designing well-organized OO apps with components using
pattern paradigms [...add all your favorite buzzwords here...].

Projects around 50k are still well manageable using an editor
like Xemacs; larger projects probably need the help of systems
like SNIFF (which offers Python support).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg                               Y2000: 248 days left