Oracle Call Interface

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Fri Apr 30 09:19:22 EDT 1999

Jeffrey Chang wrote:

> > If anyone has experience writing applications directly to the Oracle Call
> > Interface (OCI), in Python or JPython please send me examples or references on
> > how to do it.
>
> Yuck!  What are you planning to do?  Do you really really need to write
> directly to the OCI or can you use one of the available Oracle extension
> modules?
>
> About a year ago, I used the oracledb module from Digital Creations with
> Oracle7.  It's very nice, but not optimized, and thus slow for large
> queries.  Since then, Digital Creations has made DCOracle
> (http://www.digicool.com/DCOracle/; their commercial extension module)
> open source, so I guess that will replace oracledb.  I haven't looked at
> it, but according to the FAQ, it's "much faster."
>
> I strongly advise you to use an extension module or JDBC if at all
> possible.  Writing to the OCI is extremely ugly -- all the stuff we try to
> avoid by using python!

ODBC/JDBC solutions suffer from "least-common-denominator" symptom;  one can't
easily exploit Oracleisms.  I haven't played with DCOracle yet, but wrapping OCI
into a nice Pythonic package would be a big win in some situations (passing
array parameters to stored procedures is the one I most often want).