Python and Qt+KDE

David M. Cook davecook at home.com
Wed Apr 7 04:15:36 EDT 1999

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 07:21:30 GMT, boud at rempt.xs4all.nl <boud at rempt.xs4all.nl>
wrote:

>full-featured. WxWindows was rather nice (and portable), but rather
>complicated to install. The documentation is very reasonable. Gtk is in
>so rapid a development

Actually the stable Gtk 1.2 has been out for a couple months now, and pygtk
was pretty much Gtk 1.2 ready when it came out.

>that it would be difficult to decide which
>version to work with - and I didn't think much of the framework

It's not a framework; it's a toolkit.  GNOME, on the other hand, does
provide a framework.

>as presented by the example applications. TkInter looks nice

Well, tkinter is not a framework, either.  pygtk has more widgets than
tkinter and is much faster, but otherwise I find a lot of similarities
between them.  Some aspects of Gtk are obviously inspired by Tk.

>- as can be
>seen from Grail or PySol - but is rather underdocumented.

Frederick Lundh's intro is pretty good,

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/

but Tkinter makes a lot more sense to those who know Tcl/Tk already.

Dave Cook