Python without registry entries

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sun Apr 11 23:58:51 EDT 1999

Les Schaffer wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 1999 08:57:49 +1000, "Mark Hammond" wrote:
>
> >You can.  Python does not _need_ the registry for anything.
>
> said differently, if one doesnt need the registry entries for anything
> pythonic, why are there these whole slew of entries made when its
> installed?

I would prefer if PythonWin did what Netscape does which is put the vast
majority of setup information in a text file in the Netscape directory and
make a single pointer to that from the registry. I can have Netscape
executables on two different operating systems on two different partitions
banging on the same configuration files (as long as I only use one at a
time) . Yes, this is a reversion to the way things were done before the
registry. That just demonstrates that not all change is progress!

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

By lumping computers and televisions together, as if they exerted a
single malign influence, pessimists have tried to argue that the
electronic revolution spells the end of the sort of literate culture
that began with Gutenberg’s press. On several counts, that now seems
the reverse of the truth.

http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/19-12-98/index_xm0015.html