call for comments on Graphite plotting package

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Fri Apr 23 20:18:21 EDT 1999

I'm part of a small team working on a new package called Graphite.
It's an open-source plotting package written entirely in Python,
designed primarily for the following requirements:

1. cross-platform and cross-media (i.e., native onscrene graphics for
Windows/X-Windows/MacOS, and output to a variety of formats including
print-quality PostScript and PDF)

2. fully portable; no reliance on C libraries with limited portability

3. professional-quality graphing power (e.g., similar to Matlab)

We're still in the design/prototyping phase, and we'd like to get your
input.  We know what our needs are, but we may not understand your
needs -- we're relying on you to tell us.

If you're willing, please go to the Graphite web site:

      http://www.strout.net/python/graphite/

And check out the Vision Statement and Requirements documents.  The
others provide additional design details if you're interested.  Do the
requirements we've outlined meet your needs?  Have we omitted any major
functionality?  Do you forsee problems with the design?  In short, does
this look like a tool you will use, and if not, why not?

Thanks very much for whatever input you're able to give.  We'll do our
best to reward your investment by producing a great plotting package we
all can use.

Best regards,
-- Joe Strout

|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe at strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |