what do you do with Python

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Wed Apr 14 18:29:27 EDT 1999

susan e paolini wrote:

> I never see jobs with Python advertised so what is it that Python does?
> Thanks for the advice

Python solves hard problems elegantly. Python jobs aren't advertised
because usually people take "ordinary" jobs and turn them into Python
jobs. For instance if you get a job solving some really complicated sort
of math problem, or building a complicated text management system your
boss often only cares about the end result, not the language you do it in.
So we choose the best language for the job which is often Python. So the
question isn't "what Python does" but "what do you need to do?"

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

By lumping computers and televisions together, as if they exerted a
single malign influence, pessimists have tried to argue that the
electronic revolution spells the end of the sort of literate culture
that began with Gutenberg’s press. On several counts, that now seems
the reverse of the truth.

http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/19-12-98/index_xm0015.html