Tkinter hangs in Emacs in 1.5.2 on Win32

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Tue Apr 20 13:17:49 EDT 1999

    PK> I often prototype fragments of Tkinter code using the
    PK> interactive Python mode in NT emacs. Since installing 1.5.2
    PK> the interpreter hangs when run interactively inside Emacs.

    | If I type
    | from Tkinter import *
    | r = Tk()
    | r.title('pat')

    PK> I never get a >>> prompt from the interpreter after entering
    PK> the r.title() call.

    PK> The same sequence of commands works fine in the regular
    PK> stand-alone interpreter.

    PK> Does anyone know what's going on before I prepare a bug
    PK> report?

    PK> I'm using Python 1.5.2 on Windows 98 and Windows NT with the
    PK> Tcl/Tk that comes with Python 1.5.2 and NT Emacs 20.3.1 with
    PK> the python-mode.el that comes with Python 1.5.2.

I don't have much time to look into it in detail, but I don't think
it's a python-mode problem.  I got the same results as you, so I did
an edebug on py-comint-output-filter-function which sees every line of
text output by the underlying Python interpreter shell, and it is
never seeing the `>>>' you'd expect.

I'd suspect something's going on in Python because I tested it with a
version of NT XEmacs 21 and you tested it with NT Emacs 20.3.  I don't
know how much of the subproc code the two Emacsen share, so it's
possible they both have the same bug.  I was using Python 1.5.2b2 on
NT.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

-Barry