The Future of Tk?

Cameron Laird claird at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Sat Apr 24 01:10:03 EDT 1999

In article <37208205.A94D0BC2 at istar.ca>,
Eugene Dragoev  <eugened at istar.ca> wrote:
>Emulating native components makes the code slower - no doubt about that.
>I was not questioning the use of native widgets in Tcl/Tk but just
>wondering if all the languages that use Tk (Perl/Python etc.) will have
>harder time following the current Tcl/Tk.
			.
			.
			.
You also write, in a related article, that "I just
thought that porting GUI library that contains native
widgets is more difficult."  I believe that both of
these perceptions are factually incorrect.  As much
as possible (and more as time goes on?), native com-
ponents (in the sense of user interface) are
implemented as native components (that is, by invo-
cation of low-level OS-specific facilities).

In any case, I'm not aware of any particular impact
any of this has on the ease of binding "foreign"
languages such as Perl and Python to Tk.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird at NeoSoft.com      +1 281 996 8546 FAX