Is Python dying?

Mark Lutz lutz at rmi.net
Sun Apr 4 15:42:41 EDT 1999

Sidebar: you have to be careful with amazon's numbers,
because they tend to change too fast to be very useful.
I've seen Programming Python go from #500 to #5000 in
a day or two; Learning Python changes just as fast (in
fact, it was ranked #409 as I wrote this).

Their numbers are probably okay as a quick-and-dirty
estimate; but for a better picture, you'd have to take
an average over a long period of time, and then take
into consideration that their numbers are skewed towards
online shopper's interests.  Publishers get much more
useful sales information from the big distributors.

OTOH, I wouldn't mind seeing Python in the top 100 ;-).

--Mark Lutz  (http://rmi.net/~lutz)

<14085.18282.936883.727575 at bitdiddle.cnri.reston.va.us>...