Project for newbie

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at cnri.reston.va.us
Wed Apr 21 16:49:09 EDT 1999

Pete Jewell writes:
>I've read my way through the tutorial, and am now stuck - where do I go
>from here?  I want to learn how to use Python, but don't have any
>pressing projects at the moment - can anyone suggest a program I should
>have a go at writing, to help me learn the language further?

	Having third parties provide ideas usually doesn't result in
anything interesting.  I have a list of projects on my Web page, but
they're all extremely unlikely to appeal to anyone who isn't me (and
even I'm a bit cool on some of them).

	It's much better to ask what are you interested in.  GUIs?
You could write a simple game or application with Tkinter, Swing, GTk,
or whatever toolkit you want to learn, or join an existing effort like
PyRPG.  Command-line stuff?  Perhaps there's some system
administration script you could write; for example, I have a PPP
startup script for my own use; maybe there's something you do often
that could be automated.

    -- Anonymous