Is Python Dying?

John Grayson johngrayson at ome.com
Thu Apr 8 19:08:05 EDT 1999

| Now that you mentioned it, I remember hearing that someone was
| writeing a Python TKinter book......what the hell ever happened to
|that?!?!

I don't know about *that* one, but I can say there are two new Python
books on the way from Manning Publications.

Ken MacDonald's "The Quick Python Book" has been through its reviews and
has been revised. Right now it is in final technical review and once
complete the Publisher will begin production.

I reviewed the ms and can say that it will be a great book for
programmers new to Python. The first part illustrates the key features
of Python with  some good examples. Then, it goes on to demonstrate how
to build meaningful applications, including Tkinter GUIs, Windows/COM
and interfacing Python and Java. You can get some more details at
http://www.manning.com.

I'm at various stages of completion of chapters for "Python and Tkinter
Programming", which has just completed a review of the partial
manuscript. This book is intended for experienced programmers, who
probably are getting to know Python pretty well (or have read "Quick
Python"!), and have a need to build applications or prototypes in Python
and Tkinter.

P+TkP starts with some introductions to Python and Tkinter to give
context and then documents Tkinter widgets and functions, using some
(hopefully) realistic examples. Creating many types of GUI's, front
panels and machines, interfacing TCP/IP, ODBC and CORBA, graphic design
and many other topics are illustrated with full examples, with detailed
explanation of the key points of the code. In fact, the
longer-than-usual examples are a key feature of the book; this is
intended to provide the reader with some concrete examples that might be
useful as templates for their own prototypes and applications.

As an appendix, there is a complete Tk to Tkinter mapping, intended to
allow Tcl/Tk programmers to make use of Tkinter (!) and to enable
Tkinter programmers to make better use of the Tk man pages. Also Pmw
widgets feature prominently in the examples.

So, Is Python dying?

       ...   not a chance!