Project for newbie

Pete Jewell nospam at morhp.dircon.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 17:53:01 EDT 1999

In article <slrn7hv1kj.ee.glenn at gacela.demon.co.uk>,
	glenn at gacela.demon.co.uk (Glenn Rogers) writes:
GR> In article <14110.12533.232498.655489 at amarok.cnri.reston.va.us>,
GR> Andrew M. Kuchling wrote:
>>Pete Jewell writes:
>>>I've read my way through the tutorial, and am now stuck - where do I go
>>>from here?  I want to learn how to use Python, but don't have any
>>>pressing projects at the moment - can anyone suggest a program I should
>>>have a go at writing, to help me learn the language further?
>>
>>	Having third parties provide ideas usually doesn't result in
>>anything interesting.  I have a list of projects on my Web page, but
>>they're all extremely unlikely to appeal to anyone who isn't me (and
>>even I'm a bit cool on some of them).
>>
GR> For what it's worth, my first project (5ish months ago) was
GR> an internet-utility type thing: opening/closing connection,
GR> timing the period online, getting a list of mail waiting for me,
GR> telling me when I've stopped getting news etc.
GR> My second one was for work doing the same sort of thing over a
GR> telnet connection.  Then several simple text filtering/
GR> processing utilities, and I'm now doing something that started
GR> life as an addressbook (storing in a database) but has now
GR> got rather more ambitious.
GR>
GR> What did everyone else do?

I'm still at the tiny scripts stage - this is why I like python :-) -

#!/usr/local/bin/python
# 'sendnntp.py' v0.0.1
# send the contents of stdin to the nntphost localhost

from nntplib import *

server = NNTP('localhost')
messagepipe = open('/dev/stdin','r')
server.post(messagepipe)

server.quit()

I'm using this in combination with procmail/formail to gate posts
to a newsgroup via an email address (strictly controlled).  Thanks
for the suggestions though :-)

--
Pete

morph at softhome.net