Tkinter Support

FastLaneTe fastlanete at aol.com
Thu Apr 22 10:56:57 EDT 1999

I am just getting started using Python. Read the programming python book
and much of the docs. I am investigating using python for both a univeristy
research project and a commercial project. One of the issues is a cross
platform GUI
(linux,windows, mac) Looks like Tk is the likely candidate.

I am impressed with the clean design of the Python language and can see a
lot of potential for its use. I run a large research program at the
University and I think we could seriously contribute to the Python
community. However I need help understanding more about how well the Python
open source support works.

So far everything we have done is C (Unix Linux Windows VxWorks Qnx) In
fact the QNX port for Python makes it something we can use for our
autonomous underwater vehicles.

Questions:

Is there complete documentation for Tkinter someplace? ( I have read the
html pages on pkware's web site its good but not complete)

I found a lot of detail in a Tk book that is not apparent in the Tkinter
docs ("Practical programming in Tcl and Tk). Is all of Tk supported ( I
assume so but its not clear how or if Tkinter does some things)

How extensive is the group of people supporting Tkinter? Is there a
committment to continue to support Tk  as the default GUI for Python like
it is for TCL and Perl?

I see references to several different Python applications that must use a
GUI. How prevalent is Tkinter usage?