bzip2 module for Python

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu
Tue Apr 20 15:44:30 EDT 1999

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:54:49 +0100, Laurence Tratt <tratt at dcs.kcl.ac.uk> wrote:
>In message <87zp43gaac.fsf at illusion.tui-net>
>          Paul Kunysch <illume at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>[me 'announcing' pyBZlib]
>>> As I said, I am interested to know if there is a demand for this, so
>>> comments are appreciated.
>> IMHO it would be nice to have a module like the current "gzip", which
>> handles .bz2 .gz .Z and uncompressed files transparently.

Hmmm the gzip module could eventually made compatible with
the functionality of the "gzip" GNU programm:
	uncompressing .gz .Z (and pack)
	compressing .gz

A bzip2 module should be able to do, what the "bzip2" program can do.
But the two modules should work in the same way.

This might be most intuitive for people, I think.

>Do you mean you would like to see a module where you give it a file (which
>could be .bz2, .gz, .zip etc), and then get an uncompressed version back
>without worrying what compression type was used? Would you also want it to
>automatically untar files?

untaring (or unzipping multiple files) is a totally different matter.
Someone could argu leaving that to the filesystem, because
that modules would need to act like an filesystem then.

	Bernhard