The Future of Tk?

Donal K. Fellows fellowsd at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Apr 22 06:52:52 EDT 1999

In article <371E964F.C531C2A at istar.ca>,
Eugene Dragoev  <eugened at istar.ca> wrote:
> Is there going to be any Tk implementation that will continue using
> lightweight components?

No current Tk implementation uses lightweight components.  All are
heavy (which actually merely means that they have their own window
each.)  One of the things that might come out of the TkGS work at some
point may be lightweight components.  There are other issues being
resolved there first though...

On the subject of what you thought lightweight components were: There
was a substantial discussion on this matter long ago (at the start of
the 8.0 cycle) and the decision was reached that what many people
actually wanted was not components that looked the same on all
platforms (they had that before and didn't like it) but rather
components that fitted in on the platform that they were being run
under at the time.  Like that, an application that looks like it
belongs when running under Solaris/CDE also looks like it belongs when
running on Windows or on the Mac.  We feel that this is a good thing,
and it is the business of making apps look (and eventually feel) like
they belong that is one of the major motivations of the TkGS project.

Or at least, that's the way *I* see and remember it.  YMMV.

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    fellowsd at cs.man.ac.uk
-- The small advantage of not having California being part of my country would