stupid Win-CGI getting started question

bill_seitz at my-dejanews.com bill_seitz at my-dejanews.com
Wed Apr 14 11:47:55 EDT 1999

In article <8DA86302Bduncanrcpcouk at news.rmplc.co.uk>,
  Duncan Booth <duncan at rcp.co.uk> wrote:
> seitz at mail.medscape.com wrote in <7f0f0h$pfb$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>:
>
> >...But not clear on
> >getting it configured properly to talk CGI with my WinNT Netscape Enterprise
> >server.
> >
> >How should that first #! be changed for Windows users? Could that be it?
> >
> >Could the fact that all my Python stuff is under
> >d:\program files\python\
> >be part of the problem (the long folder name with a space in it)?
>
> I tried all sorts of configuration changes to get it to run .py files
directly,
> and eventually gave it up as a bad job (mostly because I didn't want to risk
> breaking the server).
>
> The way I get CGI scripts to run with Netscape Enterprise server on NT is to
> put them in .cmd files instead of .py files. For example:
>
> ---------test.cmd----------------
> @c:\Progra~1\Python\python -x "%~f0" %* & goto :EOF
> import os
>
> print "Content-type: text/html"
> print
> print "<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Test</TITLE></HEAD>"
> print "<body>Hello world from python.<p>"
>
> for k in os.environ.keys():
>         print k, os.environ[k], "<br>"
> print "</body>"
> ---------end of test.cmd---------
> You would need to change the path to reflect the location of your copy of
> Python, either use the 8.3 filename as above, or put the filename in quotes:
> @"c:\Program Files\Python\python" -x "%~f0" %* & goto :EOF
> works.

I tried your test.cmd (after changing the first line, using your quoted path
and making it my path of course). Now I get a response back of	internal or
external command, operable program or batch file. The server acts shows this
as a successful delivery (no error in the logs, status=200). Does that mean
the problem is now within Python?