Python under ASP/MTS

Carol Parkey carol at parkey.com
Tue Apr 6 04:23:46 EDT 1999

We have to build something quickly for a client, but we have to fit
within their ASP/MTS mandate.

I have developed the first cut of a Python COM object which sits under
Microsoft Transaction Server, and can be called from an Active Server
Page in VBScript/JavaScript (thanks to Mark Hammond and all the FAQ
writers).  The requirement is perfect for Python, since it has to
convert between user requests in XML and mainframe messages in some
hideous format, plus some other fiddly bits.

I am concerned, though, about whether I will experience performance
problems, with the interpreter being loaded and unloaded. Am I worrying
needlessly, or is there something I should be doing (like forcing the
COM object's reference count to never drop to zero)?

All suggestions gratefully received

regards

jp