#!/usr/bin/env python -u

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Sat Apr 17 09:33:47 EDT 1999

In article <cr5yCYgB0KGWFEglFo at holmes.parc.xerox.com>,
Bill Janssen  <janssen at parc.xerox.com> wrote:

>I'm not a big fan of the /usr/bin/env approach for Python scripts,
>because at PARC many people run without having Python on their paths.
>Many, many packages at PARC, including Python and ILU, are installed in
>their own directory tree under either /project (/project/ILU/) or
>/import (/import/python-1.5/).  People enable or disable various
>packages depending on what they're up to.
>
>So I tend to depend on GNU configure when I'm installing a script.  I
>actually look for Python in the user's environment, then use sed to
>hard-code that path into the scripts before installing them.  Can this
>be done with RPM?

Back when I was working at a software company with a real build
environment, we had a system where we used shell scripts to call Perl
and make scripts.  You can do some pretty sophisticated parsing in a
shell script; up to you whether you want to do the perverse option of
installing a global python that system calls other python scripts....

I really loathe hard-coded paths unless they're truly global.

(Let me know if this isn't clear.)
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het

Sometimes, you're not just out of left field, you're coming in
all the way from outer space.