Python IS slow ! [was] Re: Python too slow for real world

Markus Kohler markus_kohler at hp.com
Fri Apr 30 07:56:31 EDT 1999

The numbers for tak(18, 12, 6) see my previous post.

Python-1.5.2c1 compiled with HP compiler "cc -O"
0.52 seconds

Squeak (www.squeak.org) 2.4 running with a 2.3 virtual machine compiled with gcc (egcs 1.02) -O
0.13 seconds. this is compiled with gcc since it uses some gcc extensions that speed up the the
case statement for the byte code dispatching. Even the HP compiler produces much better code
than gcc, in this case the gcc compiled squeak is usally faster.

Of course the comparsion is not really fair because squeak might
or might not run a the garbage collector during the test (probably not).

But I doubt that this would explain a factor of 4.

Markus
Markus Kohler  mailto:markus_kohler at hp.com